Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Ten on Tuesday.

1. I know at least a few of you tried my favorite oatmeal recipe. Awhile ago, I thought for sure my oatmeal-loving son would also love it. Turns out, no way does he like his oatmeal chunky. So, for those of you who like it smooth, here's Fisher's Oatmeal Recipe: 1/2 cup oats mixed with 1/2 cup soymilk and 1/4 applesauce, plus a sprinkle of cinnamon. Microwave for 2 minutes, stir, then microwave for 30 seconds more. I pop in an ice cube or two to help it cool and thin out. It's quite enjoyable for him to hunt for the ice cube in there as it melts. And in case you need a carb count, that's 32.5 grams of carbohydrates.

2. Ron gave me the most wonderful Mother's Day, starting with breakfast in bed. I did not feel the slightest bit guilty staying put until almost noon, either!

3. I thought the day was winding down after we put the kids to bed, but then he had one more surprise for me - a vanilla-lemon curd-white chocolate cupcake from Salty Tart, plus a half dozen macaroons on the side! Amazing.

4. I finished The Boy in the Striped Pajamas (sad), and am on to the new Anna Quindlen. It's been a long time since I read anything by her, and I'd forgotten how enjoyable she is to read. I'm not even a hundred pages in, and just completely wrapped up in this fictional family.

5. Yesterday, Alla had a Toys R Us giftcard (well, the three dollar off card they mail you for your birthday) burning a hole in her wallet, plus four crisp dollar bills, so we left the house after breakfast for the most dreaded toy store on the planet. She had made a 'list,' which I hoped was small cause there isn't a lot to buy for seven dollars at that store. The only thing on the list was lip gloss, because she's been infatuated with the roller ball kind since having a playdate with Olivia a few months ago. She was just hoping TRU would have a pack of them. They didn't have the roller ball kind, but she's quite enamored with the mega-pack of Lip Smackers she chose instead. Now she's asking Fisher and I and Daddy what kind we want, and telling us how they have to stay in the container they came in, and all facing the same way all the time.

6. Mother's Day was just beautiful here, sunny, 60, blue skies, puffy clouds. I took Alla for a long walk in the jogger after lunch. The weather has taken a turn for the worse, however, and it is now in the upper 40s, and a classic rainy day.

7. The registration papers for Alla to ride the bus are sitting on the kitchen counter.

8. Alla is not so interested in learning to ride her bike without training wheels (which is a bummer since she threw the training wheels away a couple months ago), but she's in love with her new scooter!

9. I am most successful at laundry when I follow the Communal Hamper Method, which means that I stash a laundry basket in my closet and as the day goes along fill it up with all the dirty dish towels, napkins, jammies, running clothes, washcloths, jeans, everything. Then when the kids go to bed, I wash that load. In the morning I dry it, and at naptime I fold it. I'm still working on the putting it away part.

10. Fisher is beyond me scooping the avocado out onto his plate for him. Now I just halve it, score it, and hand it to him with a spoon.

2 comments:

Cathy Bolander said...

I still can't believe you have time to read. When do you exactly do it? Maybe I can mimic you.

Jody Wenner said...

Haha...sorry about the lip gloss :-)
I don't think Olivia has even looked at hers since that day. She told me the other day that is over princesses and is into sports, so that was interesting! thank goodness Soccer is starting soon.
I think you've said this before, but what kind of oats do you use again? because i might have to give oatmeal another try...you are making it sound good.

linkwithin

linkwithin