Thursday, July 12, 2012

Duluth.

We were lucky enough to take a drive two hours north to the lovely land of Duluth, which, I am ashamed to say, we had never visited in our six years of living in Minnesota. 
 
The kids are the perfect age to enjoy it. A lift bridge, constant boats, Lake Superior, and more rocks than they throw back into that big body of water. But they tried.

What is my daughter doing? Oh, just trying to stuff as many smooth Lake Superior rocks into her dress as will fit!

Yes the hotel had s'mores and after the kiddos stuffed their faces, they climbed all over the giant rocks along the shore.

 'Tis lovely to wake up with a view of Lake Superior. If I didn't know better, I might think I was looking at the Pacific Ocean!
We climbed the next morning around Enger Park, and were rewarded with this view of Duluth. There's our hotel down there! And the lift bridge!

 It was maybe a tad windy up there.


 The wind was even worse at the top of five-story Enger Tower.


 And Fisher didn't like it one bit.
But both kids were in love with Enger Park with all of its hidden paths and bells and sand "pond". Quite enchanting.
We left Enger Park for an equally enchanting park, one built directly over I-35, which the kids thought was cool but perhaps didn't quite get even though we drive under the park first.

It also spans a train track that I think hosts a train that serves pizza as it drives up to the North Shore? Might have to check my facts there, but I'm pretty sure that's what it does.

We had a lovely mini-vacation and can't wait to go back next year. It's amazing to be able to do all this with our kids and to feel how they experience it. We heart Duluth!

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

gorgeous photos JJ! Looks like a really perfect vacation. : ) Poor Fisher wouldn't like Cheyenne one bit, as it's like that pretty much all the time here.

Shelly said...

So fun!! I think MN is full of places to take mini-vacations. At least that's what I hear...not that we have taken many :-). So glad you had fun. Your kids are at fun ages for trips and new discoveries!

kwpershey said...

Lovely! I am totally enamored with the Great Lakes. I feel so lucky to live near Lake Michigan, and need to make it to Lake Superior before too long.

linkwithin

linkwithin