1. I'm going to blame The Polar Vortex for my lack in blogging. We had five school days cancelled in January, which I don't think has ever happened in our school district.
2. What saved us during The Polar Vortex was The Surprise Jar, which for us was this: an alarm rang every hour for the kids to report to and pick from the jar containing slips of paper. They had to do what was on the paper (such as hug mommy, do 10 jumping jacks, read page 12 of any book, go change their outfit, etc.), or the jar went away for the day.
3. After The Polar Vortex we got about 5 inches of snow. Combined with the snow we already had (remember ours doesn't melt, it's all been here since December), we've got about 4-5 feet at the corner of our yard. Great fort going on out there.
4. What keeps me warm during Polar Vortex weather: Acorn socks and fleece-lined leggings.
5. Something I bought during the peak of zucchini season, then put away after I just didn't get to it, thinking it would take a lot of instruction-manual reading: the spiralizer. No reading required, and super entertaining for the kids.
6. I made a list of all the books I want to read aloud to the kids. It's long.
7. Seems we might have seen our last monarch butterfly. So sad.
8. Super Bowl food at our house - nachos.
9. Just finished The Invention of Wings. Very good read.
10. Go make these raw cookie dough bites. Now.