Monday, June 22, 2009

Ten on Tuesday.

1. I will say it again: summer is SUPER busy, and officially it's only the first week.

2. Case in point: Alla's doing a two-week swim camp, which is M-Th for this week and next. Mondays are soccer games, so for these two weeks there are two activities on Mondays. It's kind of crazy. I'm trying to remember that the reason we did swimming this way is so that we weren't committing to an entire summer of Saturdays.

3. I cannot believe it's almost the Fourth. Maybe this'll be the year we all get flag tees.

4. I'm almost to the middle of Crossing to Safety, and I am thoroughly enjoying it. It's only of those books, like East of Eden, where it's not page-turning, but very satisfying and rich. I'm also an incredibly slow reader.
5. Treat your family to some Kettle Corn today. You won't be sorry.

6. It was at least 92 here yesterday. We made popsicles last night that are in the freezer now, in preparation for today's continued heatwave. Strawberry-peach.

7. Alla and I are four chapters away from the end of Stuart Little. It's got to be the most perfect chapter book; each chapter is super short and just full of adventure, with plenty of illustrations. If anyone has the next perfect chapter book, I'm taking suggestions. We read Charlotte's Web last summer.

8. Summer: I like my (big) marshmallows in the freezer, I will not be blow-drying my hair until probably September, and I started a batch of iced coffee.

9. Our daddy had a lovely Father's Day, starting with golf, coming home to a nacho (his request) feast prepared by Alla and I, and capped off with dinner alfresco down the street at our friends' house.
Boy do they love their Daddy! I think he's pretty swell, too;)

10. My dad is pretty swell as well, and is way too far away in my opinion. I miss you, Dad, and love you so much!

7 comments:

Megan said...

I think Alla would enjoy Junie B. Jones. We bought the set for Mazie last year for her birthday and they are just fantastic. Junie gets into all kinds of trouble but it's always fun. I think they would be entertaining for her (and you) to read together. Each book is about 8 chapters long and very easy to read. I will have Mazie write down all her favorite chapter books and email them to you. And we just made popsicles too! I remember making pudding pops when I was little. These are going to be more refreshing, I think. Yay for summer!

pakosta said...

Here are some books we have read out loud:

LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE (they have some at barnes & noble that have color pictures inside that are awesome!) we love them!

CHARLIE & THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY

JAMES AND THE GIANT PEACH

THE INDIAN AND THE CUPBOARD

BECAUSE OF WINN DIXIE

THE DOLL PEOPLE SERIES (3 books)

FRINDLE

HARRIET THE SPY

TUCK EVERLASTING ( advanced)

MAGIC TREE HOUSE SERIES




those are just some of our favorites for read together time.


tara

pakosta said...

http://www.kidsreads.com/index.asp

here is a great site for book recommendations!
tara

pakosta said...

oh and I couldn't forget our most favorite book EVER!

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane By: Kate Dicamillo! I LOVE This author so VERY MUCH!!! it may be a little advanced for Al, but you will enjoy it anyway!
tara

Elizabeth said...

Gracie loves Junie B. Jones--we get them as audio books on CD from the library. I don't love her as much, because she sometimes causes Gracie to be an even bigger sass-mouth :P

The first chapter books I read to Maddie were: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, the Little House books, and Paddington Bear. Those were fun : ) We also read Pippi Longstocking to her and decided it is a much different book when you're a grownup (that Pippi is NOT a very good role model AT ALL!)
: )

Cathy Bolander said...

I haven't started reading chapter books but I'm taking notes. I love the photo of Rong & Fisher laying next to each other.

nicole said...

You should read Ramona the Pest, or any other Beverly Cleary books.

linkwithin

linkwithin