Thursday, March 26, 2009

The rest of the weekend.

Nana + Pappi were in town to help celebrate Fisher's birthday, and everyone was happy about that. Alla got to have a very special day with them all to herself. They took her to the Mall of America where they visited the aquarium, the rides, the Legos, Build-a-Bear, and had lunch at the very scary Rainforest Cafe. Her new bear, Lily, made it all the way to yesterday before Alla decided she didn't need to wear that wedding dress after all, and should share it with Zebra. It was only a matter of time. Ron and I were just short of betting on how long Lily would get to keep her beautiful wedding gown.

The weather was pretty wonderful the whole weekend, with highs in the 50s, so we were outside a bunch. We got Fisher some shoes, since the Shoo-Shoos he's wearing (handmedowns from big sis) are really not meant for learning to walk on asphalt. Something about shoes. Makes him look like a Big Boy.

We took a few walks, taking Fisher's walker so he could get some exercise, too.We ventured down to the stream, and then meandered on over to the park to swing and climb and slide. I do think your "park muscles" must go dormant in the winter. We'll have to start working them out again.Unfortunately, we stayed just about a half-hour too long, causing quite the breakdown from the little girl. She was wiped out from all the extra excitement - showing Nana + Pappi all her toys, all her new skills outside, getting up early so she could go wake them up. I was remembering being that same little girl, Nanny and Papa asleep on our living room sofa, and creeping ever so quietly down the hall to see if they were awake and ready to start the day. Climbing into bed with them anyway. Grandparents are wonderful.

Lucky for me, I was tired too. (We hadn't exactly planned the walk to the park, so there was no stroller along to help with the 23-pound baby. Mama's left arm got a workout.) I told Alla she could come lay with me if she wanted. She read stories in the Secret Clubhouse, and soon decided to join me. I'd say that within three minutes of her arrival under the covers, we were both asleep. What a well-spent Sunday afternoon. Well, once she finished having a tantrum all the way home and just took a nap with me already, that is.


Norina said...

Awww Alla and me have a lot in common, when I'm done having fun I get cranky too :) What a sweet pic of the two of you sleeping! Shoes do make Fisher look like a big boy! Too cute! And I agree, grandparents are wonderful, as much "wrong" things my parents did as "parents" to me they sure make up for by being the best.darn. grandparents. EVER. to Zech :)

Cathy Bolander said...

Very cute pic of mama & daughter

Megan said...

I love that first picture. I don't know if I can wait until you come for a visit to squeeze those two kids of yours. I miss you all! It sounds like a lovely weekend.