Friday, March 02, 2012

Play sink.

I love Friday. I love Saturdays and Sundays because it's the weekend and everyone is home and things are looser, but often because of the empty hours, they get filled up and suddenly what looked on Friday to be 48 hours of lovely nothingness has turned into errands, groceries, projects and then it's Monday morning all over again.

So maybe I like Friday best. From the moment I wake up on Friday, I feel more relaxed. I have to get kids ready for school, so there's a little bit of hustle, but I know that once the last kid gets picked up at 4:00, the only thing I have to do is make pizza for Fisher. No lunch to pack on Friday. Bedtime is still bedtime, but somehow it doesn't feel as hurried. We linger at the table longer, eating slice after slice and usually have time to play a game of Yahtzee when we're all done. The kids can keep their nightlight on longer to read.

For all these reasons, I feel nicer on Fridays; it seems to be the day I'm most likely to say yes. So, when Fisher finished his yogurt and granola lunch and then asked if he could play in the sink, I said yes. Instead of thinking of all the things on my to-do list that could happen after I hurried him into nap, I just said yes.I read a great article awhile back (and sadly can't remember where I read it, so I apologize for not giving credit here!), about a mom designating one day where she makes a conscious effort to say yes. She doesn't tell the kids what day it is, she just makes a point of saying yes as often as she can that day.The other days of the week can zap me (and Friday can, too, now and then), so I'm glad when Friday comes to remind me that to recharge, to relax, and to say yes.How could you not say yes to those little lips anyway?

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I read that article too! It was in Wondertime. I might still have it around somewhere as I kept a lot of my old issues. We run and run and run so hard that Sunday is the day we finally get a breath around here... I love when we get to the end of all the other stuff and Saturday night/Sunday is just stretched out before us. Not always, but often.

linkwithin

linkwithin