Tuesday, September 07, 2010

The story of her first day of kindergarten, and mine.

Here she is in all her morning glory. I won't say she bounded out of bed before me, but when I woke her at 7:30 she was raring to go after a few yawns and stretches.Her morning routine goes something like this: potty, brush hair, make bed, get dressed, eat, brush teeth, shoes, bus. Daddy was on hand to send her off at the bus this morning. (Who am I kidding, Daddy was on hand for moral support after the send-off this morning.)

I kept busy all morning, readying things, straightening, pictures, busy busy busy. I was okay until this moment. Until I could hear the bus coming for her, and then see it down the street and I knew she was next and I knew it would be quick. And then I thought, Oh God I'm not ready and my throat lumped up. 8:45am.
It was quick. Ron had to remind her to turn around for one last picture.
Then one last kiss (I didn't even get one then, good thing I got mine at home!) and she was ready. More than ready. Her friend Cody was already waiting on the bus.
She didn't even look back.
And then she was gone.
Fisher and I went for a run, came home and made her a bus picture and cookies.

And, I have to admit, it went much faster than I thought it would. 12:25 rolled around and Fisher and I found ourselves waiting out in the grass, the sun having made an appearance.
When she got off the bus I felt flooded with happiness, relief, joy, just so glad to have my baby back in my arms.
I was not the only one. The two of us pretty much tackled her, but then I had to step back and see how much he really missed his big sister. I missed you, Awa, he said. He squeezed her, took her hand and led her into the house and they had a blissful hour before his nap.

At some point this afternoon I realized what an emotional day this was and thought, I cannot do this again tomorrow, but of course we have to, and surely I'll get used to it.


Megan said...

I wouldn't have been able to handle a bus. Alla was so fantastic at leaving you for her big day because of you being such great parents! I'm pretty sure you told me that on Mazie's first day of school. Good job, Alla (and Mom)!

Katie said...

OMG a bus! Kind of cool but scary too. I will be a mess, my throat just got all dry and lumpy just reading this.

Mindi said...

Damn. You made me cry too.

Samantha said...

Oh, JJ, I'm feeling you. Can't believe it's our turn next year. It's so awesome that she was so confidant!!!

Melanie said...

oh heck, i got a knot in my stomach just reading about your day and i don't have to go through it for a few more years!

hope she had a great first day!

pakosta said...

I think a big ol bus is even scarier than walking/driving them!!! Bus's just seem so BIG for a tiny little kindy girl! but she is a brave and confident! growing up too fast girl!!! love the pix you got!!!
glad she likes it!

Cathy Bolander said...

So sweet! I'm glad you made it okay. The bus idea is very cool & scary at the same time. Good luck getting used to it & enjoy your alone time with Fisher.

Sara said...

Not exactly sure how you didn't just run after the bus. That is brutal. Good job mom.

Nas said...

Hey stranger!!! You little girl has gotten so big! SHe is a beauty. I remember getting the news that you were prego and it really doesn't seem that long ago!

Really I couldn't image sending mine off on a school bus! It will get easier each day that you send her off. The great thing is that she didn't miss a beat! That means she is secure and you are doing a great job with her! Awesome!

Susie said...

What a big girl! It's crazy to send our babies off on that big yellow bus, isn't it? I hope she's loving kindergarten!

Katy said...

:) It has been years and I still get a lump in my throat.
Glad she had fun.

Susan Weinroth said...

how is it possible that little alla is in kindie?! i love the photo recap of the morning - perfection :)