Sunday, January 13, 2008

They say it's your birthday.

Today was a perfect day. No, really, it was. Absolutely from start to finish. Except, maybe, that I am so overly stuffed with Luau Salad and Vanilla Bean Cheesecake from The Cheesecake Factory, if you can even say that calls for an exception.

Alla has this new thing where she gets up on her own. It's like after four months of having the ability to climb out of bed on her own, she's finally gotten up the guts to actually do it herself. She turns on her light, then steps out into the dark hallway. We sort of have to call to her for her to come into our room. I am so glad our rooms are right next to each other so I can hear her when she then closes her door and appears disoriented there in the dark for a few moments.

So that's how the birthday started, lots of snuggling in our bed. This is how we start every morning. Since like her birth or something.

We had a lazy day. Ron made me breakfast, and while he made it, I got to lie in bed and read a book. Alla helped me finish the frosting for my White Chocolate Raspberry Cake. Yep, it's my own special cake from Terry that she used to make me and now that she's too far away I make myself. It is very labor-intensive! So I don't get to make it every year, and I'm very stingy with it as a result. Because it's divine. That cake is pictured above.

We had lunch and presents and cake. Yes I agreed to open presents at lunch. This is big for me. I like to savor. Meaning the presents can wait til right before bed. But Alla begged and begged and could not contain her excitement to see what was inside of the wrapping paper, so I caved. And so glad I did, cause what wonderful things to bring me joy!
Ron took a few 32 week photos during nap. Can't believe there's only two of these little photo sessions left, and then I'll be photographing my newborn! So unsure of why I have a giant watermelon for a belly, but apparently there's a baby in there that has decided upon needing that much room. Here's a nice one, followed by one that is clearly intended to show you exactly how giant of a belly I am growing.
After the little one's nap we ventured to The Cheesecake Factory, where the above-mentioned indulging occurred. Yum.

My family is amazing. My husband is super generous and giving and goes out of his way to make me happy. My daughter is just the sweetest, smartest, pluckiest little thing a mama could ask for. Do you know that when the waitress came to leave us a dessert menu, Alla called after her, "Excuse me!" We told her the waitress would be back and she could ask her then. So of course she came back a few minutes later for our dessert order, and Ron ordered his oreo slice and my vanilla bean slice, and Alla wanted so badly to tell her what she wanted but her mouth was full, so she asked her to wait til she finished her food. Then she said, "Excuse me, I want some ice cream." So outgoing, this one. We were really proud of (and impressed with) her.
Are you getting the picture of a full, relaxing day in which I have felt truly loved and appreciated?
Here's the best part, if I may go back to how the day began. We're all three in bed snuggling, it's kind of dark, we haven't opened the curtains yet (kind of wished we had, looking back), and Alla decides that our bed is an ocean and she has to go swimming, and furthermore, she cannot do this with her jammies on, so Ron must take them off. She also decides that she cannot swim with her underwear on either, so she removes those and just starts 'swimming' 'through' our bed. And then she's done and comes back and asks for her jammies again.
Yes, folks, that's the kind of kid we have. The kind where you just don't know what you're gonna get, but you know it's going to be pretty darn good.

15 comments:

Cathy Bolander said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie said...

Happy Birthday J.J.! Glad to hear you had a very special day. And wow, you're belly is big, but absolutely darling!

Dre said...

You look so beautiful J.J. I'm so glad you had such a great day! Welcome to our 30's. Happy Birthday Friend. I wish I could see you and hug you and rub that belly! I miss you soooo much! Luv, dre

Tasha said...

Happy Birthday!!! Though you're not big enough,I still think that there's two in there!

Susie said...

Happy, Happy birthday, J! I'm glad you had an exceptionally special day with your family. And. You look beautiful- I want to rub your belly and wish you six more weeks of a divine pregnancy (Yes, I said six, I'm hoping the early factor goes in your favor) :)

pakosta said...

jj!
i knew it was your birthday had your card written out before jan 1st actuallY! and here it sits on my dining room table. i promise to get better, but it doesnt happeN!
know iwas thinking of yoU!
and i still will send it. you look gorgeous pregnant!
tara

Cathy Bolander said...

Happy Birthday! It looks like you had a wonderful day! Very cut belly shots.

Megan said...

I am so glad you had a happy day. I miss you and wish we could have celebrated with you. I love the photo of Alla helping you blow out your candles.

Jody Wenner said...

Happy, Happy Birthday!!!
Wow...for the record...the camera adds at least 20 lbs because you didn't look that big in person :-)

Bridget =) said...

Happy birthday. I'm a lurker, but you are SO gorgeous, I just had to comment!!!

Amy said...

What a wonderful celebration of you! Happy Birthday, friend!

ncalmom said...

Hi,
I too am a "lurker" and love reading your blog. I too share the big 1-13 as a b-day, funny enough. Your daugher is adorable! I have a 2 1/2 year old litte boy. Thanks for the entertaining reads!

Sue Thomas said...

I'm feeling totally relaxed just reading about your wonderful, perfect day! Happy, happy birthday, j.j.!!!!!!!

Tara said...

Happy Birthday J.J.

Rina said...

Happy Birthday JJ!!!! I am so happy to ehar ti was such a beautiful day! Your tummy is harboring a baby who is generously needing that room but that's the only thing that's grown on you gf! You look fabulous!

linkwithin

linkwithin